I want to petition for a grade change on the basis that the…

Customer Question
I want to petition for...
I want to petition for a grade change on the basis that the grading curve was inappropriately applied. Last year, my brother (47) died suddenly of a heart attack. 13 days later, I was sitting for law school exams. I was (and am ) grieving. I did not make it through the civ procedure exam. I had to retake that one course. The admin made me, and only me, take all three civ pro questions at once, both for midterms and finals. Then, they applied the curve (of the other 23 students, that could split up their civ pro questions over the 3 days) to my exams, dropping my grades with the curve.
I contend that forcing me to take the exams all at once, put me at a gread disadvantage to the other students, who could take huge chunks of law out of their study after each day, say Q1 was class action, no need to study class action for Q2 or Q3 to the same degree... if we took different test, how can they fairly aply the same curve? I need fast help to find the California
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma and, as well, for your loss.

The fact that you did not show up for all 3 days of testing did not make the grading unfair. You could have been denied the right to even take the tests for the days you were not present. Yes, you were at a disadvantage compared to the other students. However, you made a choice to take the time off and you suffered the consequences of doing so. When you get out into the practice of law You'll see that this is the reality of the legal profession, and the judges don't give you a better legal result just because you have a valid reason for showing up late. You do the best you can and continue on.

You are asking for law and codes which do not exist. The school is not obligated to treat you with kid gloves because you had a tragedy strike. The school is entitled to apply the same curve to everyone---you are not legally entitled to special treatment.

Despite the fact that you asked for only helpful answers to your question, the reality is that a question is correct, not based on whether you get the end result you want, but in law, it is based on the what the law is. You are entitled to the correct answer to your question---not only the one you want to hear.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me. It has been my pleasure to assist you, and would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Doug

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

Well having spoken with a Dean at another Law schoiol, I know that the application of the curve in this instance is wrong, as you would if yhou looked at the Bar requirements for grade consistency.

I do not accept the answer and wrote my questions asking that those who could not provide help in the cause, not reply (I could have saud for any and all reasons)

No I prefer you followed my adice and simply not reply.

The question remains open to other to answer - or not as they feel wise.

thank you anyway, I believe you are wrong and the Dean is correct, I jusy want help in finding support, not a different opinion... I tried to make that clear?

Thank you
RS