My husband has left me and my son for another woman. He has…

Customer Question
My husband has left me...
My husband has left me and my son for another woman. He has admitted and I have cell phone and credit card receipts. He is continuing to pay our first mortgage and I pay the second mortgage. Our house is now for sale. I would like to get legal separation papers drawn up stating that he is responsible for the first and I am responsible for the second until the house sells. I go to domestic relations this week. First, is it possible for him to not have to pay child support because he is continuing to pay the mortgage? We both have plenty of bills in each of our names. He works very little overtime because of his new relationship and i'm not sure that his employer has the overtime. He could get a second job like I did but wont. What advice would you have? I am now working seven days a week in order to pay my bills. My son is 13 and wants nothing to do with his father at this time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: FLACORPLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
FLACORPLAWYER
FLACORPLAWYER, Attorney
In your petition you can ask that your husband be made to pay child support AND pay the first mortgage on the house. (Heck you can ask that he be made to pay BOTH mortgages). Who ultimately has to pay what is going to depend, as you know, on what each of your financial statements looks like.
Im just not sure if it is benefiting me now working overtime to keep my bills being paid. I have a daughter from a previous relationship that is in college and I also need to help her. I know that I can ask for the world, but that doesn't mean he is going to comply. Is there anything that I can do legally to make him continue to pay the first mortgage... Right now I am making more money than him with the double shifts that I've been working.
You ask for the world because one thing is sure, you won't get what you don't ask for. The way to insure he keeps paying the first is to obtain a temporary order that he pay during the pendancy of the divorce proceeding and thereafter.
I have no money for an attorney, would a public defender take my case and does that go by your income? I'm not sure that I would qualify right now with the way I'm working... Should I not work the overtime?
Public defenders are for criminal cases. You do not need an attorney to file for divorce. 90% of people do it without a lawyer. Ask the clerk of the court for forms.