How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a septuagenarian and have a Bank of America credit card

This answer was rated:

I am a septuagenarian and have a Bank of America credit card debt of approximately $18K which has been reduced to approx. $7K (35 %) if I pay by tomorrow. My credit rating has dropped from 820 to 550 in the last 2 years because of this debt. We have limited savings, but enough to manage our lives for the next few years, and I have gone back into business, which is nicely supplementing our social security income. The only thing we can anticipate needing credit for in the next seven years is for purchasing a new car. What can we expect defaulting on this seven thousand dollar payment will result in? I am sure we will be hounded by phone calls, but what will happen to our credit rating after seven years?

It looks like your credit rating has already taken a beating. If you are already over 90 days late on this debt then you will not look at a significant drop with the proposed debt settlement. However, make sure to get this agreement in writing before sending a penny. Credit card companies will make oral promises that they have no intention of honoring... so make sure to have it in writing BEFORE payment is made. Once this is done the debt should be fully discharged so you should not have any future calls from this company.


It is possible that this could impact any other debts you currently owe. Many promissory notes and loan agreements contain provisions that permit the lender to raise your interest rates if you default on their loan or any other current obligation. This would probably have already happened due to your credit rating drop.


Your credit rating will recover. Generally this will only stay on your credit report for seven years after the agreement is entered. There are exceptions to this rule if they sue and get a judgment or if any other action is taken. This is yet another reason to have this agreement in writing.


This really boils down to a personal decision. You owe the money and probably want to pay it. However you can only pay what you can pay. I strongly recommend you consult with a local financial counselor before making this decision. It is not simply an economic decision... it is also a question of principle. You may be able to restructure this debt and repay it in full by negotiating an interest rate freeze. Whatever you decide, you need to come out on the other end with a good plan for the future.


If you are unable to pay this debt, I would not concern myself with borrowing money to buy a car. Any loan you would be able to obtain (in the next seven years) would be disadvantageous and not worth the effort. Personally I do not purchase cars with borrowed money. If you must default on this debt, you may have to purchase a car in cash... but that really isn't such a bad thing anyway.


I wish you the best and please reply to this message if you need anything further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you