I was stopped by the Border Patrol in New Mexico while traveling…

Customer Question
I was stopped by the...
I was stopped by the Border Patrol in New Mexico while traveling in my Motorhome from Phoenix, AZ to McComb Mississippi. I was carrying $32,400 in cash (all explainable). Their dog smelled the money and they asked me if I was carrying a large amount of cash. I told them I was. They asked where the cash was, told me to get out of my motorhome and their dog went through my motorhome. Once I admitted I had money, they took me to a room and locked me in. THen they proceeded to thoroughly search my Motorhome from top to bottom for nearly six hours. They found my personal use marijuana in my freezer along with paraphernalia for smoking it. It was under three ounces and some of it was already rolled into cigarettes. Anyway, they confiscated my money (and of course the weed). I explained exactly what I was doing and why I had so much cash on hand. My money has gone through forfeiture procedure because I didn't respond in time. I need my money and I need help to get it back.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

so your question is?

My questions are:

1. Do I stand a chance of getting my money back? The penalty for carrying such a small amount of Marijuana in MY HOME (I live in my motorhome Full Time) for demonstrably personal use, cannot be the forfeiture of nearly every cent I have as well as my Cousin's money $22,000.

2. What would it cost for you to handle my case?

hi

1 - you might get it back. however, possession of marijuana is illegal but you are correct unless they are going with some type of distribution charges, i don't know how they can forfeit the money and motorhome. there needs to be a conviction, too -

2 - JA experts are precluded from representing JA customers per the JA terms of service

you will need to consult with a local criminal defense lawyer to assist you - but your time is limited as to appeal on the forfeiture. so you should not hesitate in a consult with a local attorney.