Where can I access the contents of a will for an USA citiz…

Customer Question
Where can I access the...
Where can I access the contents of a will for an USA citizen?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Hello JACUSTOMER,

Wills are not made public until they are submitted to probate. If the will has been submitted to probate you would have to check with the clerk of the court of the probate court in which the will was submitted to probate. In New York, the probate court is called Surrogate's Court. So, for example you would contact the Surrogate's Court in the New York county where the will was submitted to probate. Here is a list of the Surrogate's Courts in the counties that comprise New York City.

Thomas

The person I require information about died 2007 in NY state, Samuel Stratton Veterans Admin, and formerly of St. Glen Falls. New York city information is not helpful.

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Is that in Warren County? If so, go to 4th Judicial District website, and on the left you will see a link for the Surrogate's Court in Warren County.

Thomas
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Thank you.
You are welcome.

Thomas