Hi, I am trying to break a lease because the apartment does…

Customer Question
Hi, I am trying to break...

I am trying to break a lease because the apartment does not feel safe and cared for. My lease starts July 1st, although. Even though me and my husband signed it already, can we just not move in and consider it void?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Could you explain a little more?

Why do you not feel that the apartment is safe and cared for?

Did you discover that the landlord lied to you during the application phase?

Didn't you actually see the apartment before you signed the lease?

Have you paid your security deposit and last month's rent?

Does you lease have a penalty clause where it would let you off if you break the lease by letting you pay a specific amount?

Here are answers below:

Could you explain a little more?

A colleague took photos of this apartment before I moved in that looked better than the apartment when I got there. I am moving to Ohio from Iowa, and didn't have the ability to fly in to look at it before I moved in. The lease does not start until July 1st.

There are minor problems, like a garbage disposal that does not work, and a faucet that leaks, as well as some ants. It's right next to a rough part of town, which I was not made aware of.

No.

No.

Security deposit. Last month's rent was not required.

I don't think so.

One more question:

You have already moved in and the lease does not start until July 1?

Edited by AttorneyPhillips on 6/14/2010 at 6:13 AM EST