what is the laws on adultery in the state of arkanasa

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 8 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

Adultery is no longer prosecuted as a crime in Arkansas (in fact, even in states where it is still a criminal act, it is rarely prosecuted). However, because Arkansas is a "fault" state when it comes to divorce, a party can sue for a divorce on grounds of adultery. Most people do not do this, however, since it requires establishing in the public record that adultery did occur in the marriage.

Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further.

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
do i have to have pic. of them together. And is adultery mean sexually incounters or is it just cheating
Adultery means sexual intercourse. No, you don't have to have a picture of them actually "in the act" but strong circumstantial proof. Examples of this would be telephone records showing repeated phone calls between two individuals, receipts for gifts or other items you didn't buy the person, etc. You could also get a private investigator to follow them and take pictures of them going into a hotel or apartment during the night then exiting the next morning.

they are living together right now in our house. and i can get the phone records of them telling and texting
Sorry for the tardy reply -I signed off last night after my answer.

Well, that is strong circumstantial evidence you can use if you want to divorce based on the grounds of adultery. As I said earlier, it is not a criminal act in Arkansas so she could not be prosecuted for it.