I mailed a very small amount of pot, enough for maybe 2 joints,

Customer Question
from CA to MT to...
I mailed a very small amount of pot, enough for maybe 2 joints, from CA to MT to arrive at a hotel I was staying at. It apparently was intercepted somewhere and a policeman showed up at my door saying it had been confiscated. He asked me if I had a medical license in CA and I panicked and said yes, but I do not. He said that MT honors medical marijuana licenses from other states. I guess they are going to check and when they find out I lied I am worried about the consequences and mailing it through the US postal service. Is that a Federal offense? I'm a legal alien (24yrs) from England and am worried about my position. The policeman took my details, and left and I haven't heard anything. I am on vacation in MT until 21st when I return to CA. Please advise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/14/2010
Lawyer: xavierjd, Attorney replied 8 years ago
xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Did the police officer ask if you had a "medical license" or a "medical marijuana license?"

Do you have any other convictions?

Thanks

A medical marijuana license. I have no convictions

Thanks for the information.

Whenever the U.S. Postal Service is used for the transfer of illegal drugs, it can be considered a federal offense.

Any conviction can affect your immigration status.

The police could also seek to have you charged with obstructing a police investigation or with providing false information to a police officer.

If you are charged, you will have to return to Montana to resolve the case. You may wish to speak to an attorney in Montana who specializes in federal criminal law. Sometimes, an initial consultation is free or at a minimal cost. You can discuss the specific facts of your case, evaluate your options and decide how you wish to proceed. An attorney may be able to become involved with your case "pre-charge" and work to avoid any charges being brought by the federal government. The attorney can work on your behalf so that if any charges are brought, they are done at the state level with minimal possible penalties.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.