I went to TN to pick up my granddaughter for her yearly summer…

Customer Question
I went to TN to...
I went to TN to pick up my granddaughter for her yearly summer visit and her Mom changed her mind when we were 200 miles away. We have summer visitations by her divorce decree because my son agreed to this. We haven't had any contact with my granddaughter since then and I am very concerned about her emotional well being. She knows we were on our way to pick her up and now I'm not sure what she has been told. The reason my ex daughter-in-law told me was to spend more time with her but has her enrolled in day camp. We've taken care of her off and on since she was 3 months old and I need to know what rights I have to be able to talk and see my grandchild.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/13/2010
Lawyer: HPlawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Attorney
First and foremost, I'm sorry to hear about this. Such behavior on the part of the mother seems very inconsiderate to both you and your granddaughter.

The rights of grandparents to see grandchildren are typically a tenuous issue, but because your rights seem codified in a divorce decree, you may very well have the ability to utilize the courts to enforce your visitation rights. Nonetheless, issues pertaining to grandparent's rights, even when codified, are a very nuanced issue of the law-- it is one that is constantly changing and oftentimes contested. In Georgia, for instance, there was a statute permitting grandparents visitation rights, which was struck down by the Georgia Supreme Court-- a few years later, the US Supreme Court followed with a similar ruling.

With that said, I'm going to suggest you speak with a local attorney that focuses on "family law" to perform a full due diligence analysis of your situation, advise you of all your options, and possibly take legal action on your behalf to enforce any rights you may have. No matter what options you may have, speaking with a local family law attorney is the first step you should take.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney under any circumstances, period. I require a written engagement letter to serve as someone's attorney. Please keep in mind that everything you say in this exchange is readily accessible to the public (whether it is law enforcement, your nosy next door neighbor, or your mother-in-law, they can read what you write). Do not say anything that you do not want publicly known. If you want legal advice or an attorney-client relationship, and all the benefits that come with the attorney-client privilege, you should seek and retain local qualified counsel. You should also keep in mind that any information I give you is based on the limited facts you provide me, and any additional facts could substantially or completely alter any information I give you. Just for the record, unless you live in Georgia, I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. In fact, my knowledge of laws is limited to Georgia. I am not an "expert"-- just a lawyer. Any information I provide you is for general information and educational purposes and shall not constitute legal advice. Consider it a good first step in your knowledge acquisition.