I have an S corp that was created in Texas in 1998, had activity…

Customer Question
I have an S corp...
I have an S corp that was created in Texas in 1998, had activity for less than 2 yrs, no profits, Secy of State issued determination of forfeiture for failing to file franchise tax report, charter forfeiture effective in 2000. The appraisal district office in the county in which the S corp did business is trying to collect personal property taxes on the business for the period of 2004-2009. For various reasons including illness, financial difficulty and being in personal bankruptcy for this entire period, my husband and I, who are principals in this S Corp, have not taken any action to respond to this situation. What must we do to make this go away?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/13/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The only way to make this go away is to actually address it with the government. It will not go away on its own.

Contact them, give them your information, and ask them what your options are. Tell them you are in bankruptcy and having financial difficulty, and they will usually allow you to get onto a payment plan.

You should be able to handle this on your own, but if you have difficulties you can use the help of an accountant and/or a lawyer.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly

Kimberly,

This is quite a broad brush reply. I was hoping for some specific legal references from applicable law that may (or may not) support a position of "we-shouldn't-have-to-pay-due-to-these-circumstances-please-remove-us-from-your-taxroll."

Thank you,

Robin

Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Sorry, you didn't actually ask that in your question.
We don't have the resources here to do legal research, and it would be useless to you without having someone first review your case thoroughly to find a similar case.
Ok. I just wasted my money here. I misunderstood the value of this website. Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX not satisfied with your expert answer or your apparent lack of concern to help provide any useful direction in this matter. If you can't provide ANY applicable legal reference I can myself research before I contact "the government" to resolve this, then I guess we're done here.