Recently I had volunteered for a corporation ... I had dealt…

Customer Question
Recently I had volunteered for...
Recently I had volunteered for a corporation ... I had dealt with a printer for the corporation and was held responcible in small claims for a debt unpaid.. Is there anyway to overturn the judge's decision?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/13/2010
Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Thank you for your question.

I am a bit confused--could you please explain in greater detail as to what exactly took place?
I was a volunteer for a free publication, the publication was incorporated. I dealt with a printer that printed the publication.. The publication went out of business... because I was the one who had been the mediator the printer took me to court..

I explained to the judge that I was not the owner and held no office in the organisation but just a volunteer for the publication and that the suit should belong to the publication not to me..

The judgment went to the printer against me... How can I reverse the courts decision... This goes on my credit report and as well I live on disability..

Michigan

jason
Thank you for your question.

Oh, I see. I am very confused as to why the judge ruled against you if you were not the owner. About the only reason I can fathom is either because he still believed you to be a officer of the organization, or that you signed a personal guaranty for the debt with the printer, or both.

In either case you have 30 days after judgment to formally file for an appeal. That will permit a higher court to review the decision and see if any errors were made in reaching the verdict that may be overruled or set aside. I must warn you that only about 10% of all cases at appeal get over-ruled, but that is your best option.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 6/13/2010 at 8:40 AM EST