christmas 2009 i paid for a car for a friend who said they…

Customer Question
christmas 2009 i paid for...
christmas 2009 i paid for a car for a friend who said they would pay me 100.00 a month till it was paid for. now 6 m0s later they pd 200.00 we have no sigened pay ment plan. ihave a witness to the deal .do i have some wayof recouping my money or the car.she titeled it in her name.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/12/2010
Lawyer: xavierjd, Attorney replied 8 years ago
xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

How much did you pay for the car?

When was the last payment made to you?

Thanks

i pd. 2200.00 cash in dec. 2009

Thanks for the information.

Oral contracts are enforceable in California. You and the other person entered into a contract whereby you purchased the car for $2,200.00 and s/he promised to pay $100 per month until the total amount of $2,200.00 was paid in full.

In the situation that you posted, you can sue the person in small claims court. However, you must do it soon. You can only sue to enforce the terms of an oral contract for 2 years from the date that the contract was broken. In your case, that would be 2 years from the first month that the person did NOT pay.

Small Claims court allows you to sue someone for up to $5,000.00. Small claims actions are inexpensive and are usually resolved much more quickly than general civil lawsuits.

Below is an EXCELLENT link to an explanation of Small Claims Court in California, as well as step by step instructions for starting, maintaining and resolving the dispute. I think you will find it EXTREMELY helpful.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/file.shtml

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

i live in florida not california
i need the information for florida not calf