Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

Who would an example be of someone who might end up being your

Customer Question

Who would an example be of someone who might end up being your trustee in Custer County NE while filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy?
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 years ago.

Hello. All of the Bankruptcy courts have trustees that are appointed by the courts and paid through the courts. These persons are usually local attorneys who specialize in bankruptcy law. You would not have any involvement in who is appointed to be a trustee in your case -- the court handles all of that and they will assign your case to the next available trustee in the area of that bankruptcy court.

GOOD LUCK

THANK YOU

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really don't have any assets. I rent, no equity in a car, no money. My house I rent has furniture in it. Can they take that?
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 years ago.

Hello again. there are certain items of personal property that you are permitted to exclude from the bankruptcy trustee's jurisdiction -- these items are set out in the bankruptcy law. You are permitted to retain a few thousand dollars in an auto, several thousand dollars worth of personal property, furniture and household goods. While I am not intimately familiar with your personal situation, if you rent, have some furniture in the apartment, a car with a loan on it (which you can "reaffirm" in the bankruptcy and can continue to pay the payments), and you basically live paycheck to paycheck, then the trustee will more than likely wipe out your debt without being able to get any "assets" from you that could be sold to satisfy the debt (in which case, the trustee does not bother with trying to collect anything from you -- they simply discharge the debt and you retain what little you had to begin with).

I hope that helps. GOOD LUCK

THANK YOU