I am a registered sex offender in Texas (not suppose to have…

Customer Question
I am a registered sex...
I am a registered sex offender in Texas (not suppose to have to register and in the process of petitioning the state for removal). In the mean time, Texas sends the police department in my girlfriend's town to her house and look for me every night between 11 PM and 6 Am to see if I am there so they can try to catch me staying someplace overnight for 7 days straight. She is getting tired of this. Is this legal for them to wake her up everynight? And if not, what can be done about it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/12/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
Thanks for your question.Likely they have gotten complaints here from either the neighbors or relatives.All you do here is be careful and stay in compliance.You can see to be removed here but in Texas it isn't easily granted.The judges are all elected and politically it looks bad for them to excuse someone from registration.You can try though, it can't hurt.
Actually, no complaints... This is what the attorney general of Texas is doing to me because I came from a state (RI - original disposition) where I did not have to register, and although Texas made me register, I am fighting it.... but my original question.. Can they legally do this to my girlfriend every night?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Yes they can especially if they had a complaint or tip.I am sorry and I wish I could tell you otherwise but they can check.I am a Texas lawyer here for 26 years and this is not at all uncommon especially in small towns.They are just going to keep trying to see if you mess up here.
Ray, Lawyer
OK, section 62.052 paragraph B says that I do not need to register, as I did not to register in Rhode Island, also the part of Texas code that says you have to register if the conviction was after 1970 BUT you have to be in the court system (ie prison, parole, probation. etc) during the perion when the registry was CREATED. my conviction was in 1987 and had probation for 3 years, ending oct 2 1991.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
You would have this as a defense if they charged you here with failing to register.you would cite this section as your basis for not registering.
I have been charged 3 times in 3 different counties and all 3 cases have been dismissed, but DPS refuses to remove me from the sex registry.. what do I do now?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
You would have to file a civil suit here against DPS in Travis County to comple removal of this from your record.You have to sue state agencies in Travis County here.The AG provides representation of the DPS and you would seek court order as part of your suit to compel removal.

You are probably going to need a Travis County lawyer here to file such a lawsuit.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Call here for Travis Coiunty lawyer to file such a lawsuit.
http://www.austinlrs.com/

Well, turns out that they do note have "civil" lawyers there... but referred me to the "civil rights project". But, you can only call them between 2 and 4 on Thursdays.. They Take info, let their lawyers look at the complaint, and then they decide if they will help. If they cannot, they refer you to a civil lawyer. For you info, since Austinlrs cannot refer civil lawyers, the number for the Civil Rights Project is XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Thnx for your help.. I get paid in a few days and will give a donation for your help.

Thnx again!
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
You can try our state bar here they should be able to find you one locally and the consult here is cheap.

Lawyer Referral Information Service (LRIS)

• Have you been injured in an accident?
  • Do you feel you've been fired from your job illegally?
  • Were you involved in a crime?
  • Is your landlord trying to evict you?

If you are having a problem like this, contact us. We will help you find a lawyer or agency that best matches your legal needs. Please be aware that we are a referral service, and we cannot give legal advice. We refer you to a lawyer who can help.

Contact us by phone: (800) 252-9690 or (877) 9TEXBAR (Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m effective Sept. 1, 2010. The call-in service is closed on legal holidays. We also have phone services in Spanish.

Contact us online: To search for members of our referral service, use our new online service!

Our Service Area

Our LRIS program serves more than 240 counties in Texas. We assist more than 80,000 callers like you each year.

To help you find a lawyer, tell us the county where you need an attorney.

If our service does not cover the county you need, we will refer you to an LRIS program that can assist you.

Other Lawyer Referral Services in Texas: If we do not serve your county, we will refer you to a certified LRIS program that can help you.

Steps and Costs

1. Our LRIS staff will ask you three things:

· The county where you need the attorney
· Basic information about your legal problem
· Your name, mailing address, and telephone number

In order to receive a referral from our service, we must have your name and mailing address. This information is only shared with the attorney we refer you to. We do not sell, rent or share your information with anybody else.

2. Once we refer you to a lawyer, it is your responsibility to make the first call. When you make the call, let the lawyer know that you have been referred by the State Bar LRIS service.

3. Your lawyer will charge you an initial consultation fee for the first ½ hour of his or her time. This ½ hour fee will be no more than $20