someone is libeling me on my community web site forum and I…

Customer Question
someone is libeling me on...
someone is libeling me on my community web site forum and I don't know who that person is, can someone tell me my rights and what they recommend.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

If this person is writing things that are false, and you can prove that they are false, then you would have a case. The problem is finding out who they are. If you want to sue, you would have to hire a lawyer and start a court action. Then you will be able to ask the website for information and hopefully find out who the person is.

Again, the key is that you must prove that the info is false.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly
This person is actually calling my children vandals and drug addicts. He also accused them of yelling profanity at another man who verbally attacked them. I do have proof (other witnesses) and my boys are willing to take drug tests. Is this proof enough? My children feel like they have been violated and it is our community web site he has attacked them on. So, all the neighbors have read it.
The administrator says he can reveal who the person is writing the comments.
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
In that case you probably don't have a case. First, the comments are too vague. Second, what is the damages? You have to have some financial harm, otherwise there is no case. This is generally harm to work reputation and loss of salary, but in this case that doesn't apply. I think you will have a tough fight if you try to pursue this.

Kimberly
Relist: I've gotten a different answer from another attorney. I was needing a second opinion..
I've gotten a different answer from another attorney. I was needing a second opinion.