i should i plead to charges of battery against a household…

Customer Question
i should i plead to...
i should i plead to charges of battery against a household member and interference with communications. this is my first offense and i live in new mexico
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/12/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
No, you should not just plead guilty because both of these charges are misdemeanors punishable by up to 1 year in jail and pleading guilty would give you a permanent record and a restraining order on your record which can hinder you in employment for years to come. You need to get an attorney to negotiate some type of deal for you for perhaps a deferred sentence which after some probation period could be expunged from your record. While an attorney may cost you money, later on in life you would be glad you spent the money if you are able to secure a deal where you can get the charges dismissed later (we get so many customers who come in here who have pled guilty to such charges and then 10-15 years later are trying to get their records clear because it is hurting them in jobs or in getting places to live and there is nothing they can do about it other than try for a pardon which are rarely granted.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”