ive been waiting... no response from you please help

Customer Question
I rented an apt 45...
I rented an apt 45 days ago. upon moving in I found several problems with the unit.. my most concern is the stinch in the unit and the filth on the ceiling and rusted refrigerator. Upon move-in the private owner told me he would paint some area's and help me wall paper the unit {I purchased & willing to help him put up & paint if he supplied it} but later said he was too busy with work. When I withheld his rent and explained why he didnt want to do the work and told me I should find me another place. During this convo he says be out by the 1st calls back and says if I stay till 1st I will have to pay for extra days {I moved in on 5/22/10. signed a years lease}.
This has been a major set back in my life. it has affected me, my health {I plan to go to doctor monday.. having breathing problems} my career/education goals, and my finances I lost 7days the shower was unusable, toilet overflow I lost personal items & majorly cleaned entire unit.

I would like to know my rights. thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/12/2010
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Your rights are limited: if the landlord is willing to let you out of the lease early, you should consider taking that opportunity. Waste no time in locating a new place now and just consider it good. Tough lesson, for sure, but most landlords wouldn't let the tenant out so early so you have a gift.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
This is so unexpected. Since he is breaking the lease can he be liable for my moving expenses and the inconvenience this places on my life and the items/time I lost because the unit was not up to par
You can attempt to sue him in small claims court for those damages you outline.

It really will be the judge's call. To make your case as strong as possible, you may want to consider taking a lot of photos of the condition of the unit -- make sure that they're good ones -- to show why it was necessary for you to leave so early.

Good luck!