I am in the middle of a divorce. We have shared residential…

Customer Question
I am in the middle...
I am in the middle of a divorce. We have shared residential until we go to court, it is as 7 days with him, 7 days with me. It is to be his 7 day's right now (as of June 9th, 2010) but, he is fishing and the boy's are with me. With my consent their grandma (his Mom) had permission to take the boy's overnight to her home 5 mile's from me. When making these arrangement's she asked when she should bring them home. It would have been yesterday (June 11th) I stated to her that I was done with work at noon, so shortly after that. By 3pm yesterday I started calling their home and leaving a message until 7p when I asked my oldest son to call her cell phone (I don't have the number). He was able to only talk a few second's and the phone went out. She then called the house phone at 7:15p our time and let me know she had taken them out of state. She did not have my permission, or even inform me. It is not hard to call my work it's in the phone book and she knows where I work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/12/2010
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting JA.

Do you have a temporary order of custody indicating you rotate visitation every week? Do you know whether the father gave his mother permission to take the children out of state? Why did she take them out of state?

Yes, we have an order of rotation for visitation. I do not know if she got permission from him, and she took them for fun!! The biggest problem with all of this: she did not tell me what she was doing. AT ALL!! He is gone, I am here with them.

She should have informed you that she was taking the children out of state, especially if the trip was for more than one day.

If the children are not being abused or neglected, there is little you can do right now except to refuse her visitation when the children are in your custody next time.

You can use this conduct in court to argue that the father and his family are not working with you in the best interests of the children since all interested parties should be doing so. This could help you obtain primary custody of the children ultimately.

The police will not intervene this weekend since the temporary order indicates that the father has visitation with the children and they are with his family.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. Also be aware that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.