i have been chatting with and talking over the phone with a…

Customer Question
i have been chatting with...
i have been chatting with and talking over the phone with a person from online for 3 yrs from new mexico but last yr and this year this woman has been saying she need help with bills adn stuff so i would ask her like whats going on she tell me the she need money for rent and money electric bill like that she made a verbal agreement that she would pay me bk but she didnt,and she was always busy to get the money she said so i sent it in her cousins name thru western union.im tired of her giving like a running so what steps do i need to take to get my owed to me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: LegalPro, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LegalPro
LegalPro, Attorney
You need to find her current address and file a suit against her, alleging an oral contract. It may be better to file the suit in the state and county where she lives so you will have a better chance to collect it through garnishment of wages, bank account, and so forth. A small claims court may have sufficient jurisdiction to cover the money owed you if the amount is not too great. In the mean time, I hope you have advanced her no further loans.

<======================> Thank you for choosing just answer®. Please advise by reply if you would like the answer explained or clarified.

Your positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.

I will always opt out of a question upon the customer’s request by reply so that another expert may respond, no offense taken.

i have an address and i have western union reciepts i can get and i also know the names of the people who accept the money
That is all well in your favor. You can either send her a letter demanding the full amount of the loan, or go directly to the court where she is a resident and file your claim.

should i also subpoena the ones who accepted the money on her belf also?
Yes, but make sure the witness will testify in your behalf, not against you. Your own testimony of how the money was sent is also good evidence.

well i have no witness but i will have all my evidence. i do have reciepts and i am also getting western union to send me copies of the checks and who signed off on them in writing
That's all in your favor.

could i also ask for all of or part of my costs for having to miss work and me paying for cost of paper work also?
You could ask for it, but the chances that a court would award that sort of damages is slim. You may, however recover court costs.