My 10 year-old daughter missed the school bus and, as my wife…

Customer Question
My 10 year-old daughter missed...
My 10 year-old daughter missed the school bus and, as my wife was watching her by the window, an udentified car pulled over, openned the door and said "get in". My ten year-old got in! My wife almost died when she saw that. We went out running trying to stop the car or see the plates but we could not. We jumped into our cars and drove like crazy to stop the car but we could not find it. We were devastated...We went to the school and there she was: The udentified man had taken her to the next school bus stop but we did not know and, by looking at the facts and assuming the worst, we suffered a lot. My wife has been in a nervous crises since then and the police has identified the man who is a neighbor. We feel this just was not right and he affected our health. What can we do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Attorney replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Please clarify:
An unidentified driver delivered your child to the school bus because your child missed the bus.
The driver didn't harm your child in any way.
Correct?

Apparently, the 71 y man did not harm her in any way. He might have wanted to be a good neighbor but How could we know? In any case, I do not think it is proper to invite, in any case, a child into a car without parent's knowled or permission. Is it?

In other words, since we just could not know the identity and intentions of the driver, we really thought she was being abducted. As a result we consider that this person caused a lot of suffering and damage to our overall health. Do we have any legal resources in this case?

Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please respect the Honor System and click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

You may wish to have your attorney evaluate the extent and reasonableness of your damages. If you can show that the person's chivalrous conduct was negligent and actually (and reasonably) resulted in some damages, you may have a basis to recover. Of course, it may be difficult for a court to award a plaintiff damages when the defendant was helping the plaintiff. Providing someone a ride as a favor is typically something that is appreciated, rather than something that should expose a person to liability.

While I understand the thoughts you may have had at the time, it's important to understand that the law typically isn't geared toward punishing people for doing nice things for others. Of course, if you can show negligence and reasonable, foreseeable damages, you may have a basis to recover the value of those damages.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).