Question is regarding tenant landlord dispute really. I decided…

Customer Question
Question is regarding tenant landlord...
Question is regarding tenant landlord dispute really. I decided on May 30th to left my husband. I went to my landlord that morning and told them I was moving out most of my stuff that day and that I was giving them 30 days notice. I was going to pay the rent for June and would have all my stuff out by June 30th. They asked about my husband and I told them he was trying to find a place and that he and the rest of my stuff would be out by the end of June. They indicated to me that they would like him out sooner than that and I said I would tell him that but I still needed the house until the end of the month to get it all cleaned out. While I was moving that day, they came over and told me that I could just pay 1/2 month's rent since I wasn't really going to be there. I said thank you and reinterated that I would still need to the end of the month to clean it out. Now they are trying to tell me that I have to be out by the 15th. Can they do that?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: Lady Themis, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

You can only be forced to move with the proper notice from your landlord. If you have a lease agreement, and the lease term has not expired, you are entitled to remain through the expiration of the lease. If you are on a month to month lease (i.e. you have no written lease currently but pay your rent monthly), your landlord must give you one month's notice. Otherwise, your landlord can only try to evict you for cause, such as breach of a lease provision, etc.