I had signed a for $10,000 check a month ago, because i was…

Customer Question
I had signed a...
I had signed a for $10,000 check a month ago, because i was injured in the car accident. after three weeks i signed it, law office send me a statement that says i have to pay $2,000 chiropractic place, miscellaneous $125, narrative report $350. I didn't understand, I was only told there would be 33.33% attorney fee from whatever will be get from insurance. total to me comes up $4,195. my freinds are telling me that they had to sent it with check from insurance company. but they did it after weeks after i signed the check, the same thing they did to my other two friends who were with me in the car. what can we do? what i should say to the lawyer when i talk to him? aren't they violating our rights? and where i can get remedy for this? please, help.

PS: long time ago while we were getting treatment at the chiropratic clinic, we used to ask that we don't want to be over the limit and pay extra, and the owner of that place told us, that money they get is totally separate form the money that we get, and now i see at the settlement statement $2,000 medical lien.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
If you had a contract with the attorney, read it and it will likely talk about a fee plus expenses.

The friends are incorrect about having to send the settlement check to you with the check from the insurance company. Many lawyers deposit the insurance check and issue yours after it clears the bank.

Also, under state law the lawyer is required to withhold any amount for medical liens although you should have been informed of this.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Wasn't I supposed to receive settlement statement before i signed the check?
You should have received a settlement statement when you signed the check, or at least been told what you were receiving.