i just filed sexual harrasment against my ceo. can i legally…

Customer Question
i just filed sexual harrasment...
i just filed sexual harrasment against my ceo. can i legally leave work at this point and file unemployment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting JA. Who did you file the charges with? An agency or the HR dept.? How long have you worked at this company? Do you work directly with the CEO?

HI Tina,

currently i went up and filed it with the CFO who is HR at the company. he also spoke with the ceo and conversated with her.

I have been working in the company for 2year 11 months. I currently do not report directly to the ceo i report to a VP

I see. If you do not have to come into direct contact with the CEO, then your benefits could be denied if you quit your job. A voluntary termination generally prevents you from collecting benefits if there is a reasonable alternative. I would request that you be reassigned or otherwise accommodated so you do not have to come into contact with the CEO.

In addition, if the employer does not take action promptly, within a few days to a week, then file a complaint with the EEOC. Only then are you clearly protected from retaliation for filing the complaint. Go to eeoc.gov. They can investigate, mediate, or issue you a right to sue letter.

They can also provide you with attorney referrals Look for ones who take contingency fee cases.

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice. It is recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.