My daughter is 17, will be 18 in 3 months. Her boyfriend just…

Customer Question
My daughter is 17, will...
My daughter is 17, will be 18 in 3 months. Her boyfriend just got released from boot camp and is staying with his dad. He is 19. He is on house arrest for 3 months . I do not want my daughter staying there with her 3 month onld son. I am worried sick. She said she is torn because she wants to be with her boyfriend but she doesn't think the baby should be there but keeps the baby there anyway just so she can be with him. Can I legally make her come home wit the baby? Isn't he violating his parole with an under age girl even though he is the father of her baby.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney replied 8 years ago
D. WINOGO ESQ.
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney

Yes, until she turns eighteen, she is a minor and is subject to your rules. However, automatic emancipation of a minor in Illinois occurs when she turns eighteen. In addition, if she is living out of the house with her boyfriend, she can file a petition for emancipation. Your best bet is to convince her to come home with the child and that you will help her out raising the baby.

I have tried convincing her to take it slow and not to just up and keep her baby over there, I have stuck through everything with her and basically done most of the care for her baby while she was here. She even admitted to me that she doesn't want her baby to stay or herself there but she has been away from her boyfriend for 10 mo. and wants to be with him. I suggested letting baby visit several hours a day then bringing my grandson back to me and she has refused.

If you feel that the baby is in physical danger there, you can file a custody petition. Otherwise, your options are severely limited if your daughter will not listen to reason.