I own a building that was configured as a dance studio with…

Customer Question
I own a building that...
I own a building that was configured as a dance studio with mirrors on the walls, etc.
I authorized a girl to teach the dancing. She collected her own fees, etc. She paid rent for the use of the building. On last Tuesday, she cleaned out the studio, took mirrors off the walls, barres off the walls, everything is gone. She says she owned all the things she took. (Not true). The police said she has a paper that states she owns the things.

What can I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

How much is the value of the property she took?
The value is over $ 5,000
I did not receive a reply from an expert.
You could consider suing her in small claims court for up to $3,000. The court link on this process can be found here: http://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=704

Hope this helps. Or, you can sue her in the general jurisdiction court to receive the full amount but you may find the assistance of local attorney to be necessary.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

Isn't what she did-- by removing the mirrors from the wall-- against the law. Isn't that

a criminal offense? She even removed the medicine cabinet from the bathroom.

It could be considered to be larceny or conversion. The police department does have discretion as to whether or not to pursue it. You can file a police report. Do not be surprised, however, if they tell you that "it's a civil matter" and they decide to not take any criminal action.