I have a tennant (pays timely) who is transitioning to living…

Customer Question
I have a tennant (pays...
I have a tennant (pays timely) who is transitioning to living with his girlfriend on a part time basis. He has an associate who would like to sublet from him whenever my tennant is not using the appartment. Our current rental agreement forbids subletting. What do you reccommend here. MK
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Who will be responsible for paying the rent?
That's flexible. I was thinking of having the subletter pay us direct and setting up a seperate contract with me. This would prevent me from being left hanging if the original tennant skipped, which could leave me with a tennant and NO rental agreement. MK
Have you done a background check and credit check on the sub letter?
No not yet. MK
Whether you want to allow subletting or not is solely up to you. No matter who your tenant is, you want to make sure that they have a history of making payments, that they have the ability to pay, and they're not going to trash your place.

The facts you describe suggest you need more information about this other person before you can make an informed decision.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
All of this I know. I'm looking for legal pitfall issues. What happens if I have 2 renters who are sharing this batchelor unit? Two rental contracts? One contract specifing days each can use the batchelor units? Legal in CA? Co-signor on rental agreement? Where are the pitfalls especially in CA? MK