How can I file a harassment claim against my ex-boss who has…

Customer Question
How can I file a...
How can I file a harassment claim against my ex-boss who has been making my work life miserable for months and unjustly fired me a week ago?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

In order to have an action against your former boss for a hostile work environment, you will need to be able to relate the persons behavior to some type of actionable discrimination. Mere bullying and rude behavior is not sufficient

The U.S. Supreme Court has stated that an action for a hostile work environment exists only when there is clear discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, and disability.

If you think your treatment is based upon one of these grounds, you may have an action.

To make a claim against your employer, you must file a "charge of discrimination" with the EEOC. The charge must be filed by mail or in person with a local EEOC office within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation.

Good luck.