I own a small business and applied for merchant services through…

Customer Question
I own a small business...
I own a small business and applied for merchant services through a company and was denied. The company allowed my mother to sign on my behalf and was approved. In the meantime, they told me she was denied and another family member applied and was approved. I am currently trying to get out of the contract b/c the service is poor. They said I cannot be released due to a non-cancellable contract. I do understand. Now the question for you is to see if I have a way out b/c the contract is between the company and my mother but the contract was not signed by my mother but by my family member. Because my mother didn't sign the contract, it is binding because my family member's signature is on the contract. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/11/2010
Lawyer: loeblaw, Attorney replied 8 years ago
loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
You do not, since the contract is for your business but your mother cannot be held liable, so can the other family member.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

When you say I do not, what do you mean? I can get out of the contract? It does not state the name of the business on the agreement it just says the name of the company and my mom.
If it names the business the business is bound by the agreement. However you should consider taking it to a commercial attorney for a review you may have an out of the terms are not clear.
PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

REMINDER: As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.