my girlfriend bought a house with her ex about 2 years ago…

Customer Question
my girlfriend bought a house...
my girlfriend bought a house with her ex about 2 years ago in dighton, ma. They broke up about a year later. He still lives in the home, her name is XXXXX XXXXX deed but they did not write up a property agreement. What rights does she have concerning the home? Is she entitled to half or any of the property,how does she fight this and with what type of lawer would be recomended for the case?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2010
Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Was you girlfriend married?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
no not married. together for about 7 yrs though.

Dear JACUSTOMER - If they were not married and there was no divorce or settlement then she is an owner of the property along with whoever else may be on the deed. She would be entitled to her share of the equity if the house is sold. If she wants to sell and the other party refuses then her only option would be to file what is called a partition suit to have the court order the property sold.

She should contact a local real estate lawyer if she wants to file a suit. If she just wants to keep her interest in the property she doesn't have to do anything but if her name is XXXXX XXXXX mortgage and the property goes into foreclosure then that could have an adverse effect on her credit score and possibly leave her open for a deficiency judgment.

Dave Kennett