We are a State agency that deals with PII (Personal Information…

Customer Question
We are a State agency...
We are a State agency that deals with PII (Personal Information Identifiers) like SSN, dob, driver's license number, address (in shielded cases), should all our contractors be US citizens? The federal government now require US citizenship for people that deal with PII, what is our position.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2010
Lawyer: Cedric, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Cedric
Cedric, Attorney
No, as long as your workers are legally able to work then you're fine; they don't need to be citizens.

Cedric,

Even after the Privacy Act was amended after 9/11 changes were made as to citizens only being able to work with PII data, like IRS and Education allowing only citizens to be contractors

Roderick

I don't know where you heard that, but people can work in education who are immigrants and not citizens.

I meant the Department of Education and the Internal Revenue Service, both federal agencies because they use SSNs and DOBs to identify data. There is some law/regulation/code that they use to allow only US citizens to be contractors. I know this holds tru for NSA because they are a secuirty agency.

I need the law/reg that they go by.

thanks

Roderick