Hello, On Monday the June 7, 2010 I sold 2 pieces of vintage…

Customer Question
Hello, On Monday the June 7...
On Monday the June 7, 2010 I sold 2 pieces of vintage furniture on Craigslist. They had it delivered and the wife paid me cash. 3 hours later the husband calls me and complains he doesn't like the furniture and claims its junky furniture. I tell them its a done deal, I am sorry he is unhappy with the furniture. I described the furniture to the best of my ability and I sold them what I felt was very nice good quality furniture pieces. Now they are calling and emailing me threatning to take me to court and saying that I tried to scam them. I feel this is very unfair. I am an honest person and would never try to scam anyone. In fact I gave them deals from the beginning. They talk me down $100, Also I found a friend to help with delivery for a very cheap fee. I tried to be as helpful as I could. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2010
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney

There is really nothing you need to do, perhaps other than to ask them to stop harassing you. If you described the property accurately, and did not knowingly deceive the buyer there is no legal recourse the buyer can successfully take. You did not provide a warranty on the property, you delivered what was advertised, and the wife accepted delivery.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Thank you for your quick response. Also I wanted to add that the people just sent me another email I would like you to read. Please let me know what you think..He is now looking me up on Facebook. I feel very threatned by this. I feel he is invading my privacy.

This was on Tuesday:
What a joke that keeps adding up - the handles are plastic! The dresser is not solid walnut! How do you justify/explain that? You misrepresented and trust my words: YOU will be taken to court (and will not win) unless you do the right thing and settle this with integrity and honesty.

todays email: (a few minutes ago)

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Gib Begum <[email protected]> wrote:
> What the hell is going on you fraudster! I found you on Facebook (really
> young, should've known) and want this resolved.
>
> I have given someone a refund in my past Craigslist experience and I expect
> you do the same. If you don't respond, we will go after you in small claims
> court for false advertising. You told me on the phone that the drawers were
> in great condition - bullshit. I'll have my wife send you pictures of
> many of the shitty half-ass stapled drawers (that are falling apart).
>

gb

Here was my ad for the piece:

Amazing VINTAGE Mid Century Modern Danish Style Credenza. Solid wood/veneer top. In Excellent Vintage Condition.

Dimensions: 60" long X 31"tall X 17" deep $350.00 cash Firm! Please call (XXX) XXX-XXXX

This was on Tuesday:

todays email: (a few minutes ago)

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Gib Begum wrote:
>
>

gb

Here was my ad for the piece:

Nothing stops him from going to small claims court. His boast of winning is not guaranteed. You offered no warranty. I am not sure what the words "excellent vintage condition" mean. This is about the only thing that can be argued in court. Again the wife inspected the property on delivery and accepted delivery. I do not believe there is enough in your ad for there to be a case for deception.

I would politely e-mail him that you cannot or will not refund the money. You regret that he is dissatisfied. You should indicate that he stop harassing you..

You cannot stop him from obtaining information you have placed in the public domain. There is no expectation of privacy in much of the communication tools on the Internet.

You might avail yourself of activating an email filter to just stop receiving his comments.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
I was in the middle of writing them an email .....

Jessica,
I am sorry that you are dissatisfied with the dressers I sold you. You inspected the furniture and accepted the delivery. I cannot refund your money. I would appreciate if you and your husband Gib stop harassing me.
Ebee

Then I recieved this email from the guy....do you think I should give them $100 so they can stop harassing me? Or should I stand my ground. I feel like I am being pushed around :(

GIB Wrote:
I spoke with our attorney and the one-time settlement offer is this: if you provide us with $100 compensation for the damaged furntiure, paid this week, we will not contact you again. If not, we will be filing for small claims court. FYI - he reviewed the facts, including your posting and the furniture quality - you have no chance. Your call.

I doubt they spoke with an attorney. The cost of a consultation and representation is probably twice the amount of the dresser's value. Attorney's fees would probably not be awarded in the small claims action. It is also relatively rare an attorney will use the words "no chance". Taking a case to court is like rolling the dice. There is rarely a situation where either party has absolutely no possibility to win.

I doubt the attorney came to the home to inspect the furniture, or conversely they took the dresser to the attorney's office They may have described their version of the facts to the lawyer and gotten his agreement.

Settling for a $100.00 is not a bad compromise. I don't know what condition the furniture was in when you sold it. You used the qualifier "excellent vintage condition", and I don;t know what that means and whether it fits the product you sold. BTW nothing stops you from making a counter offer.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Should I send him something like this? I do not want to agree that the furniture was damaged because it was not damaged upon delivery.

Gib,
I will compensate you $75 for you to stop the harassing emails and phone calls if you and your family promise to never contact me or slander my name.
Please let me know.
Ebee

That is OK, make sure you include that this terminates any claims either party has against each other with repsect to the sale..

If you found this answer helpful please press the ACCEPT button.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
I counter offered him $50.00 to stop harassing me,
then I retracted after I saw he posted the dresser on CL using my picture.
he wrote....

Our attorney has confirmed that re-listing the crap only strengthens our
> case, in that we indeed do not want to keep the shit you gave us. We have
> all the photos to prove our case.

If you were informed with the law, you would know that we are completely in
> our right to legally pursue you in what is ours, especially as you have
> legitimately (and knowingly) scammed us. Case in poing, the beauty of our
> case is only enhanced by your earlier email, you confirmed and acknowledged
> that you will compensate us for it! If you didn't feel it was necessary, you
> obviously wouldn't have done it. You admitted your guilt with the offer,
> that you took away. What kind of scam you are running will catch up with you
> - karma.
>
> See you in court, I look forward to meeting you in person.
>
then I cancelled my offer after I saw he posted the dresser on CL using My picture I took in my house. Please tell me what you think...

he wrote....

> all the photos to prove our case.

> - karma.
>
>
Edit

Offers of settlement on a disputed claim are not allowed/considered by the court. This reconfirms my observation he is not talking to counsel. Resisting on has no bearing what so ever on the case. He may in fact be a reseller or simply someone that decided he did not like the way the dresser looked. His case is not enhanced and I believe the individual is just trying to bully you. If you do go to court you only have to worry about the words in the ad. As I stated previously the wife accepted the dresser on delivery.

If you do go to court and he tries to bring up the offer of compromise you should object immediately. even if allowed you can explain to the judge by showing the ctream of e-mail why you might want to get him off your back.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Here are the pictures of the pieces of furniture I sold them. I described the items as in excellent vintage condition because they were. They had very little wear and all of the drawers opened easily and I did not see anything wrong with them as we loaded them in the van before delivery. I put vintage condition because when a person buys something vintage they should know its used, and its old. They did not send the photos they kept saying they had as evidence to show ther dressers were damaged or falling apart as he told me on the phone and in his emails. I believe if the furniture is damaged, they damaged them while moving the dressers around or possibly puting the drawers in improrperly. They said the handles were plastic. They appeared to be wood to me, that I can not verify since I do not know if they were. I did not describe the dressers in detail but just overall.
Tgraphic
Dresser number 2graphic