MY HUSBANDS EXWIFE WAS TO PAY HIM A SETTLEMENT FROM THEIR DIVORCE…

Customer Question
MY HUSBANDS EXWIFE WAS TO...
MY HUSBANDS EXWIFE WAS TO PAY HIM A SETTLEMENT FROM THEIR DIVORCE PER A JUDGEMENT IN THEIR FINAL DIVORCE PAPERS ISSURED IN 90. IT WAS TO BE PAID IN 10 YRS. OR WHEN THEIR HOME WAS SOLD. BOTH SITUATIONS HAVE COME AND GONE. HE HAS APPROACHED HER (EXWIFE) OVER THE YEARS. HER RESPONSE HAS BEEN "SHE DOESN'T THINK SHE HAS TO PAY EVEN THO SHE IS IN CONTEMPT OF COURT". WE SPENT $326.00 JUST TO GET A DEMAND LETTER SENT TO HER BY AN ATTORNEY. WE ARE IN OUR SIXTYS AND RETIRED LIVING ON SOC. SEC. AND ABOUT A $100.00 MO. FROM TEAMSTERS. WE WOULD LIKE TO GARNISH THE EXWIFE'S WAGES AT THIS POINT. CAN WE ON THIS ON OUR OWN? IF SO WHAT ARE THE GUIDELINES"? WE ARE OREGON RESIDENTS. THE DIVORCE TOOK PLACE IN OREGON. JAN [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2010
Lawyer: Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD) replied 8 years ago
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
First your husband needs to file a contempt motion against his wife for violation of the divorce. Once he has a judgment on the contempt it will be reduced to a set dollar amount and that order can be used to garnish wage, attach tax returns, place lien on property, attach her bank accounts and even seek a debt collection service to collect.