I loaned my ex $35,000.00 several years ago and now that it…

Customer Question
I loaned my ex $35,000.00...
I loaned my ex $35,000.00 several years ago and now that it is "due" she is not paying.
I have a promissory note signed by her, copies of cancelled checks and emails from her acknowledging the debt. What is my next course of action ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Lawyer: NateLawAnswers, Attorney replied 8 years ago
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

What state did this occur in, and when did she stop paying as agreed?

Let me know the above and I will get right back with you.

Thanks!
Nathan Moore
I loaned her the money in Pennsylvania but she now resides in West Virginia. She never made any payment as it was due back to me as a single payment March 1, 2010.
Since the loan was made in Pennsylvania, you can file a law suit in the county in Pennsylvania where the loan occurred. The amount is rather high, so you will not be able to file in small claims court. You will likely need a lawyer to assist you with drafting a proper complaint.

That she now lives in West Virginia does not change where you can file suit.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Nathan Moore
NateLawAnswers
NateLawAnswers, Attorney
When I file suit is it appropriate to ask for legal fees and court costs in the settlement?
You can for court costs, but only for legal fees if you had a written contract saying the prevailing party in a law suit is entitled to them.