Hello I have a question regarding a local store. I am aware…

Customer Question
Hello I have a question...
Hello I have a question regarding a local store. I am aware that under the california state law I am capable of buying liquor with a foreign passport as long that it has my date of birth. Its not that i want to, but the thing is that i tried to sign up for Sam's Club membership card, but i couldn't get it because they said that a foreign passport is not a legal way to identified my age. I know that the california business and professions code, under the general provisions, article 3 section 25660 states that any for of foreign passport is more than enough to identified my self and age. What can i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2010
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Under Civil Code 51.5, a business establishment cannot refuse to sell to persons based upon, among other things, nationality. By not accepting your passport, the vendor discriminates based upon your nationality.

You can file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and they will investigate.

Hope thi helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.