Long story short... We just found out that a teenager in the…

Customer Question
Long story short... We just...
Long story short... We just found out that a teenager in the complex where we have lived for six years sexually molested my son. The teenager is currently in trouble and in a treatment facility for gang related issues but could be released any time. We reported the abuse but because the boy was just shy of his tenth birthday ( my son was five) he cannot be charged with a crime. We broke our lease two months early and left for the safety of our family and teenager(not sure we could show restraint). We are now being charged all kinds of fees- can they charge us in this situation??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. That is terrible news to learn but I must provide you information you may not want to hear about leases.
To get out of the lease there are normally 4 ways:
1. negotiate with the landlord. often that means paying a penalty to be released.
2. finding a clause in lease that permits you to end it early on notice. This is rare
3. suing the landlord for breach of lease or having a lawyer threaten such action which can lead to a release either by consent or court order
4. subletting for the lease term.
To find local counsel to represent you, see www.martindale.com

The landlord can hold you liable for the lease term or until it finds a new tenant, whichever is less. Try to negotiate to be released early or alternatively to sublet. Some landlords will consent or take the deposit and a small penalty, especially if have access to a new tenant.
Relist: Answer quality.
my question was not just a simple breaking a lease concern- the expert provided me with no information on my rights as a tenant regarding the sexual offender continuing to reside in our complex
You cannot require him to move nor to break the lease on this basis.
What about victim rights? And is it not the landlord's responsibility to make sure that every tenant is reasonably safe? My son's safety and emotional well- being is certainly being compromised by being forced to live in the same vicinity as his perpetrator! What precedent are you referring to that addresses this specific circumstance? I can't imagine a judge ruling in favor of penalyzing MY family in this case!
These are police issues, and legally not landlord responsibility under a lease.