In the state of NJ, can I continue to claim unemployment after…

Customer Question
In the state of NJ...
In the state of NJ, can I continue to claim unemployment after I was approved for Social Security Disability Benefits and do I have to pay back the unemployment benefits I have received so far after receiving a lump sum back payment of my Security Disability Benefits.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/10/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. How did the employment end?

I was on New Jersey State disability when my position I got eliminated by my employer and as a result I was laid off.

You were not let go for performance or misconduct. Therefore, you can file for benefits.

Even while I receiving Social Security Disability Benefits and do I have to pay back the unemployment benefits I received so far ?

Correct.

Do I have to tell unemployment that I am receiving Social Security Benefits when I claim my unemployment benefits.

The 2 are independent of one another.

But I understand that their exchange information !!

Yes, but the fact you get ss is not a bar to get benefits.
I don't understand this sentence. Could you explain please.