I signed a year lease at an apartment complex in the state…

Customer Question
I signed a year lease...
I signed a year lease at an apartment complex in the state of Kansas. The lease started over a month ago and I have not moved in any of my belongings. I need out of the lease and cannot find a sub-lease.

Is there a law in the state of Kansas that states the lease has not officially started until the lessor has obtained residence? Is there anyway around this situation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

So sorry, but no. Once you sign a lease in Kansas, unless you're prevented from moving in or staying there due to nature or man-made disasters (hurricanes, war, etc), you are bound by contract. The fact that you have yet to move in does not make your liability any less, I am sorry. Sometimes, people seek legal remedy when they have been morally wronged, but for whom legal avenues are few. I am afraid this is one of these times.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”