I am being represented by a lawyer in an auto injury lawsuit.

Customer Question
They want me to accept...
I am being represented by a lawyer in an auto injury lawsuit. They want me to accept a very low offer because the other driver had more serious injuries. I dont feel the offer is enough. Am I too late to get another lawyer?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
Tina :

Hello.

Tina :

You can always retain a different attorney in a matter until it is resolved. Your current attorney would have a lien on the case for the reasonable value of their time already spend on the matter, but you would not owe them a contingency fee if you retain a different attorney now.\

Tina :

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice. It is recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Tina :

Do you need clarification?

Customer:

Im not sure what a contingency means? Is that the percentage they take of the settlement? Have you ever heard of lawyers wanting to accept a low offer so that the other person thats involved in the accident that they are also representing case will look more legitimate? I am in pain daily and my lawyer didnt even offer to take it to litigation.

Tina :

Yes. That is called a contingency fee. Your attorney likely has a conflict of interest here if they are indicating you should take a lower settlement because of issues with another client they represent. I would definitely seek another attorney to represent you.

Tina :

All the best to you!