We own a business that sponsored a musical concert called Hotel…

Customer Question
We own a business that...
We own a business that sponsored a musical concert called "Hotel Adams Halloween Havoc" last year. This year we are planning to produce the complete show ourselves and wanted to call it "Hotel Adams Halloween Havoc II". The problem is what if the promoter from last year comes back saying "Halloween Havoc" was his show and we cannot use that name. I am sure Halloween Havoc has been used all over the world before so would he have any right if it is not registered or copy write protected. Lastly would we be smart to register it ourselves for future use.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
It would be smart to register it yourself, but you are right it has been used a lot. The promoter can claim a copyright and it is not required that it be registered to be copyrighted. However, just using it once doesn't make it his. It may be in such widespread use it is not copyrightable. "Hotel Adams Halloween Havoc" would probably be a better copyright name.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.