Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Someone stole my car title and put it in their name. What do

Customer Question
I do? I contacted the...
Someone stole my car title and put it in their name. What do I do? I contacted the DMV, Congresswoman Bono, The council for aging, the courts (the person could not be served) and police.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Assuming none of those can or will help you then the only option you have is to file a lawsuit for a declaratory judgment. That is where the court says the car is yours and orders the title changed back into your name. You will need a lawyer to help because DJs are complicated and judges don't see them very often so they count on the lawyers leading them through the process.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I tried to go through the courts, we could not contact who ever stole it.
It is not an inaccurate answer. The only entity who can remove title from one person and award it to another is a court. The person in whose name the title is registered has "legal title" but really doesn't own the car because you have an "equitable title". The only way to remove the legal title from them is for a court to declare that your equitable title trumps their legal title.

If you have any other questions please post them here but don't "relist". The reason it took me so long to respond is that we don't get notices when someone relists a question, but we do if you post anything else to it.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Thank you
You're welcome. Best wishes.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney