Knowing that this is going to sound like a white-trash story,

Customer Question
Knowing that this is going...
Knowing that this is going to sound like a "white-trash" story, I ask that you bear with me as it is not. My daughter attended Pepperdine University with grad work at CU. I had a very successful career as a mortgage banker but was disabled a couple years ago. My daughter is about to enter into he 6th marriage.#4 & #5 were to the same man and the father of her only child. my beloved grandson. During his 1st 4 or 5 years I lived near her in the Highlands Ranch area and cared for Braeden a geat deal of the time. He is the love of my life and I his. I believe my daughter to be an alcholic, but she is a good mother. The problem lies in that if I say anything she does not like(i.e. I have figured out Kevin, current fiance' is not comfortable in my company), I am punished by not being able to talk to or see my grandson. This has gone on for over six weeks and I don't think intends to ever let me see or talk to him. Do I have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Any story that has words such as "Pepperdine University" and "successful banker" automatically disqualifies itself from "white trash." My wife went to Pepperdine, are you saying...? Kidding. Colorado has something called Grandparent's Rights but it is restricted to a few hours a week of visitation. If you're serious, you would have to petition for something called GRANDPARENT ACCESS with the family court in the county where he is. You'd get a few hours a week with him. If you should want to petition for full blown custody, that's different (let me know if that's the case).

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

This does not really tell me anything or quote Colorado law.
Let me be more specific:Under C.R.S. 19-1-117, a grandparent can petition in Colorado for reasonable grandchild visitation rights in the following situations:

The grandchild's parents have obtained a dissolution, annulment, or legal separation,
The child has been placed into the legal custody of someone other than a parent, or
The child's parent, who is the child of the grandparent seeking visitation, has died.
There is no automatic right to grandparent visitation - the Colorado family law court must find that it is in the best interests of the child to have grandparent visitation. And, once granted, Colorado grandparent visitation may be modified or terminated if it is in the best interests of the child if the parent petitions for this later.The method for this is via a PETITION FOR GRANDPARENT ACCESS via the local county's district family court.

Edited by Eli on 6/9/2010 at 7:01 PM EST