I entered a plea agreement to misdemeanor stalking that occurred…

Customer Question
I entered a plea agreement...
I entered a plea agreement to misdemeanor stalking that occurred 2 years ago. Since then I have graduated college with my Bachelors and now trying to get employed where every job requires a criminal background check (social work). In Michigan, the requirement you have to wait 5 years before being able to have the charge expunged. Is there any way to have the misdemeanor expunged early based on extingent circumstances since it is preventing me from employement and providing for my family. I am able to prove that it is hindering me and that I have not been in any trouble since the incident and that there is no longer an issue? Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I'm so sorry, but no - the rule is pretty strict. But look on the bright side (yes there is one), MI is one of FEW states that allows Expungement of a conviction; most states do not. But in the end, sorry, you do have to wait 5 years. Sometimes, people seek legal remedy when they have been morally wronged, but for whom legal avenues are few. I am afraid this is one of these times.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”