How do you find out if a sibling received benefits of a will…

Customer Question
How do you find out...
How do you find out if a sibling received benefits of a will if you have no information on whether a parent left a will or no information on an attorney that may have handled the estate?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Kim Courtney,
 replied 8 years ago
Kim Courtney
Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The easiest way to find out if there was a will that was administrated is to go to the local county courthouse in the county where your parent lived before they died, and see if there is a court action regarding the probate of the will. This is public information, so if it was done, you can see the court records and see what this sibling may have received.

It would seem strange to me that there was a court proceeding and you, as a sibling, were not informed of the proceeding.

There is another possibility. When there are bank accounts and someone dies, those accounts do not go through a will. The person who held the account fills out a form when they first open the account putting someone's name on that account as beneficiary. So if that took place and your sibling was listed on a bank account, then you would not know and there would be no record of it. The way to find out would be to go to the bank with your parent's bank account number and ask who is currently responsible for that account. I would bring the death certificate with you so they will be more willing to speak with you.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly