I just spoke to joseph and he did an excellent job, but I want…

Customer Question
I just spoke to joseph...
I just spoke to joseph and he did an excellent job, but I want another experts opinion just to make sure. Basically, I have a new job and I am offically hired. I even have a start date. My question is...can they drug test me the 1st day of work without prior notice? There was not mention of a test verbally, in writing in the newspaper ad, or in the written packet given to me. I have a friend that consulted an atty and they told me that the employer has to give some type of written notice of a pre employment drug test. I know that there is a possiblity of a random drug test if the employer states so. I want to celebrate by smoking a joint, but I just want to make sure I'm covered. I'm in Oklahoma.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Barrister, Attorney

Does the employer have notices posted on the property, in any information packet they gave you, or conspicuously in the HR office or break room area?

.

If the answer is yes, then they have given notice and can require testing at any time as long as they are not singling out someone for disparate treatment. If they have a stated HR policy that all new hires are tested, then they may do so.

.

Unless you are a governmental employee or are under an employment contract, employment is considered "at will". What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all. They can also place any conditions on the employment that they wish to as long as they are not violating the law.

.

The employee would then be free to accept the conditions and begin working or reject them and seek other employment.

.

So I would recommend holding off on that celebration for a while, or choosing some other method.

.

Thanks

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.