I have been sued in Texas, and have until Monday at 10 00 a.m.

Customer Question
I have been sued in...
I have been sued in Texas, and have until Monday at 10:00 a.m. to answer the petition. I do not the money for representation, and am also out of state. There is also an issue on whether or not I was properly served. My question is: do I still have time to file a Motion to Extend Time to Respond? Also, I can't find an appropriate form online to do so. Where can I get one?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ray, Lawyer
There are no extensions possible here.I am giving you answer forms here for divorce.If this is different case you may modify but as long as you deny everything and file it here you will be fine.You sign it and send it in timely here.Copy other side.BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that anything timely filed treated as denial and puts all in controversy and avoids default.

http://www.texaslawhelp.org/documents/clusters/tx/194/english/original_answer_kit.pdf
Ray, Lawyer
I should have been more specific. The complaint filed against me is from a corporation claiming I'm trying to destroy their company. The truth that will come out eventually is that they are massively defrauding their customers and they are trying to shut me down so I can't contact said customers.

I've come across many Texas cases online where attorneys file Motions to Extend Time. Are you SPECIFICALLY saying I can't file a Motion to Extend Time for an ANSWER TO A COMPLAINT?

Thank you.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
You want to file an answer here.Otherwise you risk default.You can file such a motion but court decides whether to allow you time.Why not file something here.It does not have to be perfect.Anything that denies everything here and demands proof will be treated as a response.You can always amend your answer here later on.You are just trying to prevent a default.

Texas Rules here--look at 83,84, 85 etc..covers answers..

http://www.supreme.courts.state.tx.us/rules/TRCP/RCP_all.pdf

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/9/2010 at 9:30 PM EST
Thank you for your help, but I needed a definitive answer, so in the meantime I continued to research online and found Rule 5 in the TRCP which allows me to ask for "enlargement of time" if I have "good cause". I think I have 4-5 "good causes", and would rather get the extension than answer the complaint. There are 60+ allegations against me that I want to refute one by one, not just throw up a "general denial" and hope for the best. There is too much at stake here to let even one allegation go unchallenged. I realize you work from very little information, so again, I appreciate your advice.
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Not a problem, that a judgment call.But you can file a general denial here if you choose.Always your call.You are going to need a lawyer here they seem to mean business.

Lawyer here..

Lawyer Referral Information Service

The State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Information Service helps connect lawyers with persons in counties where there is no local lawyer referral service. Participating lawyers have indicated the area(s) of law in which they can help clients, and in which counties.

Need a lawyer?

State Bar of Texas Certified Lawyer Referral Services

County

Name of LRS

Referral Line

Texas Legal Services Center

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Bexar

San Antonio Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Collin

Plano Bar Association

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Dallas

Dallas Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Dallas North Dallas Bar Association 972-980-0472

El Paso

El Paso Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Harris

Harris County Bar Association

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Harris

Houston Lawyer Referral Service, Inc.

(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jefferson

Jefferson County Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Nueces

Corpus Christi Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Tarrant

Arlington Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Tarrant

Tarrant County Bar Association LRS

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Travis

Austin Tenant's Council

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Travis

Central TX Lawyer Referral

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

State of Texas
(rural counties)

State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Info. Service

877-9TEXBAR

New Online Referrals!

If your county is not served by one of the local referral services above use our new online referral service!

Speak with a live representative

1-800-252-9690 or 1-877-9TEXBAR (Toll Free)

Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The call-in service is closed on legal holidays.

Here's how it works

Utilize the online referral service by clicking on the "Online Referrals" button above or call 1-800-252-9690 or 1-877-9TEXBAR(toll free). Your name, address and phone number will be required. You will be asked in which county you need a lawyer and to briefly state your problem. Remember, the information specialist is not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice.

You will be provided the name and phone number of an attorney if there is a match in the referral system. When you call the attorney to schedule a meeting, please inform them that you were referred by the State Bar of Texas.

Your first 30 minutes of legal consultation will cost $20. After the initial half-hour, you and the attorney may negotiate fees should you decide to authorize the lawyer to take action on your legal problem.

How to work with your lawyer and save money.

Any information given will be held in the strictest confidence.
(Please read disclaimer.)

Edited by RayAnswers on 6/9/2010 at 9:40 PM EST