Not sure if this is the right category. I am living in utah…

Customer Question
Not sure if this is...
Not sure if this is the right category. I am living in utah and I signed a contract to continue living in the place through the summer. My roommates all moved out and one of the roommates didnt hand in their keys. I immediately asked to have to the locks rekeyed and two weeks went by and nothing was taken care of. At the two week mark my place was broken into without forced entry and the security cameras were not turned on. The cops supposedly searched the avenues of the roommates possibly stealing my stuff and nothing has turned up. Another two weeks have gone by and management still hasent changed the lock with my persistant as can be asking. My question being; am i out the stuff that is stolen or is management respsonsible for my stolen items since they havent changed the locks when all the keys are not returned after a contract has been terminated? thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

IF you can prove that it was the prior tenant, then yes they are responsible for being negligent. Let's assume you can. Total value of stuff stolen?

well say i cant prove it was a past tenant. what about the fact that i locked my door and there was no forced entry?