I purchased a mobile home in April. One week after I was informed…

Customer Question
I purchased a mobile home...
I purchased a mobile home in April. One week after I was informed that there was 10 months back land rent due on the place, She told us then that she was going to pay him with the money we gave her. However 2 months later we are just now finding out she did not pay him and on Thursday he will file with the court to take the trailer. We have less then 30 days to pay him in full. She says she doesn't have the money. If she doesn't have the $ to pay him she doesn't have the $ to pay me back either. I have a contract with her plus many emails proven that she lied to us about the back rent. Plus she still hasn't even moved out of the place!

What leg if any do I have to stand on?

The Mobile homes is located in Buford County Nc
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/8/2010
Lawyer: HPlawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Attorney
I suggest that you speak with a local civil litigation attorney so that he or she may assist you with this case, and with the time limitation involved, I suggest you do so immediately.
First, there may be actions the attorney could take (such as recording your interest), that could protect you in the event that someone initiates a lawsuit against this lady. It's also possible that such action could constitute criminal activity, and the attorney could try to assist you with filing a complaint with the local prosecutor to initiate a criminal prosecution. Nonetheless, these options, among others, should be explored and evaluated by your attorney, but it's best not to delay.

Also, based on the nature of this lawsuit, should you simply decide to initiate a civil action, many attorneys would take a case like this on a contingency basis or seek to recover their fees from the defendant. This way, the attorney would only obtain a portion of the settlement or judgment obtained, and you wouldn't have to pay for the attorney out of pocket.

Your local bar association will be an excellent resource in finding such an attorney.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney under any circumstances, period. I require a written engagement letter to serve as someone's attorney. Please keep in mind that everything you say in this exchange is readily accessible to the public (whether it is law enforcement, your nosy next door neighbor, or your mother-in-law, they can read what you write). Do not say anything that you do not want publicly known. If you want legal advice or an attorney-client relationship, and all the benefits that come with the attorney-client privilege, you should seek and retain local qualified counsel. You should also keep in mind that any information I give you is based on the limited facts you provide me, and any additional facts could substantially or completely alter any information I give you. Just for the record, unless you live in Georgia, I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. In fact, my knowledge of laws is limited to Georgia. I am not an "expert"-- just a lawyer. Any information I provide you is for general information and educational purposes and shall not constitute legal advice. Consider it a good first step in your knowledge acquisition.

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Relist: Incomplete answer.