My son was just taken by ambulance to a hospital in Pa while…

Customer Question
My son was just taken...
My son was just taken by ambulance to a hospital in Pa while I am here in Florida. I need to know how my son is and understand that unless permission was given that I may have information that no one can give out such information. PROBLEM IS THAT MY SON AT THIS TIME IS IN A CATATONIC STATE AND DOES NOT EVEN KNOW HIS NAME, THE NAME OF HIS CHILDREN OR WHERE HE IS.QUESTION: HOW OR WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR INFORMATION SINCE IT IS OBVIOUS THAT HE CAN NOT EVEN COMMJUNICATE??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
6/8/2010
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 8 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney

Thank your for asking Just Answer,

Unfortunately, if your son is over 18 unless you have a valid durable power of attorney for your son's heath care you will likely meet with resistance from medical personnel regarding his medical information. HIPAA is a federal law and it does prevent the doctors or hospital from providing anyone other than his health care agent with his medical information.

I wish I could give you more encouraging news but you are going to run into a brick wall legally. You may find a nurse, doctor or other hospital staff that you can get to be sympathetic and provide you with information even if you are not entitled.

Hope this helps. Please click Accept so that I receive credit for my response. A bonus is greatly appreciated.