Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am a little confused of the answer I got from Cedric. Law

Customer Question
Pro tells me that the...
I am a little confused of the answer I got from Cedric. Law Pro tells me that the Note that was issued in 2005 when I closed on the mortgage cannot be retroactively modified. The bank is stuck with that note. However, Cedric tells me now that the bank can issue a new Note stating that you have those continuing obligations for the next 25 years. The original Note (2005) was signed with a Monthly Principal & Interest of US$1,728.84 as payment for the remainder of the 25 years. However, the bank now insist on me paying US$ 1,844.20 monthly for Principals and Interest over the 25 years. But the Note says US$1,728.84, even though this was a mistake by whoever issued it and we signed. According to Cedric the bank can issue a new Note. The new note will have the right P&I ($1,844.20). I am not sure bank can re-issue Note as they go along. If so, the consumers do not have much rights. What if My Wife and I deny to sign it and refer to the first Note we sign as the one in force?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/1/2010
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
Actually, they are both right. The bank can issue a new note, but you do not have to sign it unless the bank can prove that the first note was an administrative error. An error can be grounds for them to correct the note and you would not be very successful in court arguing that they cannot fix their administrative error. Other than the bank proving an error, they cannot simply decide to change the note just because they wanted to change it or wanted to raise it, they have to have some actual justification and without that justification (administrative error) then they can ask you to sign the new note, but they could not force you to do so and could not enforce that new payment against you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney