Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

i am a public school employee this year i was asked to translate

Customer Question

i am a public school employee this year i was asked to translate by my supervisor for a hispanic family they were withdrawing thier children from school and moving to another school in texas i was told to tell this family to take thier children to mexico and not to enroll thier kids back in a school in the united states until after the taks test had been administered will i be held accountable in any way and is this legal in the state of texas.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If you were instructed by your superiors to tell the parents this, then you are not personally liable for telling them. However, telling them to leave Texas until after the state tests were administered is a violation of the testing law and is unethical on top of it. This is something that, while you would not be personally liable for, you would be protected if you reported it to the State Department of Education and if you had some witnesses to this it would be helpful. You do realize that the supervisors will deny telling you to say that and they will say that if you told the parents that then you did it on your own, so this is why you will need some proof.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”